Remote WordPress work – an ideal arrangement for your web development project, here’s why…
Remote WordPress work is fast becoming a collaborative mode of choice for digital development project environments.
A few proponents of remote working arrangements for WordPress development projects are as follows:
- On The Go Systems
- and many more…
Remote working is becoming adopted by some companies as a 100% employment policy.
WordPress.com’s parent company Automattic is one such employer leading in this trend, pooling digital development talent from across the globe:
- …employing some 626 remote employees based in 57 countries, speaking 79 different languages offers the ability to iterate, communicate and deliver results to millions of customers worldwide.
So what is the fuss about WordPress anyway?…
A few interesting facts about WordPress…
- WordPress.org is self-hosted, WordPress.com includes hosting service
- Over 28% of all content management system derived websites are built using WordPress
- WordPress is open source software and therefore free to end users (…but clearly it cost volunteers many hours in their valuable time to developers)
- WordPress is available in 68 countries
- WordPress is used by many governmental and public sector websites worldwide
- WordPress is not owned by any one company, but is supported by a global network of volunteer developers
- WordPress has over 50,000 registered free plugins expanding it’s functionality
For more WordPress facts and figures, visit WPBeginner’s article, entitled: 25 Interesting Facts About WordPress
Some WordPress basics…content management system
WordPress is a content management system.
According to the Wikipedia entry, a Content Management System can be defined as such:
…computer application that supports the creation and modification of digital content. It is typically used to support multiple users working in a collaborative environment.“
The purpose of a content management system being a collaborative digital production tool is reiterated by this leading technology services company, Comentum:
…main purpose of a Content Management System (relating to web) is to provide the capability for multiple users with different permission levels to manage a website or a section of the content.“
And why has the management of ‘content‘ become so important in these digital days?
The global movement of information and it’s availability in recent years has rocketed and has fast become the most valuable commercial asset – as quoted by Forbes and Economist.
It stands to reason that businesses invested in processing and making readily available information on a mass scale will quickly position themselves into monopoly.
Global internet search engine, Google, publishes it’s mission statement as:
…to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful.“
This statement and it’s many permutations are reasons for concern.
Yet without getting into the politics of the matter, from a commercial sense, it can be seen according to these contemporary trends that modern business is largely dependant upon leveraging mass communication with various audiences – providing information, or content, effectively and efficiently.
Obviously, tools which assist in this matter of development, archiving, publishing and distribution of content will be highly-prized digital assets for business.
As the provision of relevant information becomes a critical decision making factor in even small business marketing, content and it’s management rise the ranks on the executive agenda.
Remote working and the knowledge economy
Knowledge transfer between commercial parties in this economy has fast become one of, if not the, most important factors in driving commercial outcome.
Investors and consumers alike heavily depend on assimilating knowledge from the marketplace in order to assess issues such as cost/benefit before making shortlist or commitment.
The process of building a knowledge base, as aided by the digital commercial landscape is instant and dispersed. All that is needed is an internet connection and digital device to connect, i.e. smartphone, tablet, laptop or desktop.
At the production end of this information transfer, the agility to meet the increasing demand of content by end users, either business and consumer, calls for more flexible collaborative arrangements.
Traditional working environments present barriers to productivity (such as daily travel, face-to-face meetings, brick and mortar capital and revenue costs) which are considered by many in these days as unnecessary, given the advantages poised by digital-based remote work.
Remote working engagements conversely make for a much more streamline and bloat-less mode of collaboration.
Reasons for why WordPress remote working – really works!
WordPress and remote work are intrinsically linked. The following are just a few reasons as to why we think it isn’t such a bad idea after all.
- Access to the work environment
- WordPress as a work environment is virtual and as such is accessed by way of the cloud, or in other words, hosted over the internet. Access for development purposes and for use of the content management system is achieved either via the WordPress administration dashboard, or by way of the server admin.
- 3rd party specialist client software, using FTP (file transfer protocol), is used for mass file uploads to deposit custom files into the underpinning folder structure of the WordPress installation.
- Essentially, all that is necessary for the building and management of a WordPress website, or web app, is an internet connection to a hosted server with an installation of WordPress, accessed via a computer terminal…and you’re off!
- Development culture
- The very process of web development is quite a solitary task, in that the writing or manipulation of code requires rather intense focus for serial iteration, tweaking and technical problem solving.
- Once your developer has a development brief in their hand, they have the tracks upon which to lay their efforts in transporting the project toward it’s final destination.
- The necessary governance of project progress need not be monitored by way of face-to-face meetings and traditionally, office-based bureaucratic methods of accountability. Rather, collaborative management software platforms, like Github, specifically designed for the ordering and granting oversight of digital production projects are fast becoming the preferred choice.
- With numerous development inputs being farmed across many strategically aligned remote workers, large scale digital production can be achieved with very little (if any) offline coordination. Lean, agile and results driven.
- Progress reporting
- With documented workflows and clear, concise protocol for producing digital deliverables, progress reporting is easily managed via streamline software development systems like Github.
- Date stamped acknowledgement and archiving of commits (commitments) to the updating of project code, is logged and shared for all relevant parties.
- All contributing inputs for the project are cumulatively stored and made available via the one single point of remote contact, the digital repository.
- Problem solving
- Problem solving requires each team member’s individual examination of an issue and the putting forward of suggested solutions or workarounds.
- Whilst communicating & relating concepts between project participants helps maintain cross fertilisation of ideas feeding the pipeline of solutions, focused isolation to tackle the integral tasks in hand, is where the talents of individual team members bear dividend in fruitful application.
- Instant and concise project communications, which are aligned to a thorough project mandate, maintain swift progress toward project planned outcome. Bloated and repetitive project communications stifle productivity and can lead to stagnation.
- Build repositories are the digital deliverable stores, which house all of the valuable development products. They are highly indexed and version controlled allowing many revisions, by multiple persons with only the latest iterations being made available for update.
- Knowledge bases where long form project documentation and strategic guidance is held are often built using Mediawiki CMS for the cataloguing of project details for future reference. Github uses such a system.
- Messaging via project management software platforms, like Github, offers the agility of instant short form prompts and updates for driving progress.
- For remote video conferencing, web applications, such as Skype, offer a conduit by which face-to-face conversation may take place very effectively…and at no cost.
- Where proof of production capacity or proof of product is required as collateral for the submission of buyer security deposit before a WordPress development project, demonstration of this can be performed easily over the internet.
- Project portfolios, picture galleries, screencast videos, online development calendars among many other proofs can be offered by developers prior to commissioning, as collateral.
- Previous repositories and history of tracked commits can also grant overview of general productivity and output.
- Project management
- Each WordPress website is comprised of a set array of composite parts. Number and variety of parts will differ depending upon the complexity of the website, but the core functionality of a WordPress website will rely on repeatable and identifiable parts. This makes workflow planning and project management very predictable.
- Open source
- WordPress being an open-source software means its growth and ongoing development is itself a fruit of remote working.
- Distance collaboration has opened up a thriving and fast growing digital marketplace which seems to be continually revising and producing new solutions to common and not so common problems alike.
- The WordPress.org plugin repository is one such example, which currently houses over 50,000 free software solutions created by thousands of volunteer developers.
- This remote way of collaboration has enabled WordPress to scale and grow much more readily than if it had been a traditionally managed, office based venture.
- Access Control friendly
- Access control is important when managing large teams of project co-workers remotely. Ensuring that each team member has liberal, albeit authorised access to resources which they require in order to fulfil their appointed duties is critical.
- WordPress with it’s controlled login security and customised user access levels grants watertight managerial oversight of the access issue. This is ideal for remote working collaboration environments.
Real business advantages of remote working on WordPress projects
Remote working arrangements can be misconstrued as offering more favourable terms to the worker in the ‘benefit balance’ leaving employers disadvantaged.
But contrary to traditional thinking, remote working projects are not one-sided in benefit, but actually offer all round ‘real business advantage‘.
Here are a few:
Cost saving: why incur…daily office travel (commuting) cost, costly face-to-face recruitment processes?
Time saving: think of all that development time which otherwise would be replaced with – train time, tube time, office chat time etc.
Productivity: as a fruit of streamlining the production processes within your digital development projects, think of all the additional productivity you could gain.
Flexibility: remote workers already have their own familiar tools of the trade which they have amassed by personal investment which need not be bought in when you on-board them. They have their own set-up which works for them – so why fix something that isn’t broken?
Do you have a WordPress project in mind?
Are you looking for a remote WordPress worker?
Feel free to get in touch with us and ask us anything…